who is She?
Ashley Brunson is a freelance journalist from Atlanta, Ga. She earned a B.A. in Communications at Savannah State University where she also studied Behavior Analysis. Ashley was a very active student during her tenure at Savannah State as she has held leadership roles and membership in a variety of organizations such as the NAACP, NCNW, The Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Task Force, and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
She has written for a variety of organizations and News Stations. Ashley prides herself in maintaining a very diverse writing style while still holding fast to the professionalism, integrity, and skill that is required to produce quality material.
Aniz, Inc., Development Assistant (Atlanta,GA)
September 2017- Present
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to strategically build public awareness and support for the organization’s goals and funding needs.
- Research, analyze, identify, and develop multiple grant opportunities simultaneously.
- Write and edit highly accurate and quality proposals and applications within time constraints.
- Ensure work product complies with grantor and goodwill standards
- Manage organizational funding historical records
- Generate yearly Annual Report
- Strategized for outreach and events to expand Aniz, Inc.’s reputation in the community
- Developed AFLASH program that promoted Sexual Health Awareness for at risk youth
- Conducted outreach to provide funding for programs through grants, scholarships, community support, and personal donations.
Local Vox, Content Creator (Atlanta, GA)
August 2016-September 2017
- Create, write, and edit web content related to SEO, blog, and marketing collateral materials
- Monitor production content throughout project life-cycle
- Post content to website through CMS.
- Coordinate and compose photos, videos, interactive web applications, and other multimedia elements and experiences for the website
- Work closely with the editor to clear control rooms, commission stories, and organize contracts
- Manage and create content using Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop for promotion and marketing purposes
- Communicate closely with technical team and production team accordingly
- Research and development prospective competition
- Monitor and evaluate content for quality control, audio correction, and graphic clarity
- Communicated with the media team to determine where to place ads based on the client's objectives and budgets
- Supervise and train staff according to projects
- Execute assigned projects with limited to no supervision
Peter Lang, Editorial Assistant (New York, NY)
September 2013 - August 2016
- Assisted with creation of template for data and graphic editing
- Identified all appropriate published collections (copyright years 2006 through 2015) for treatment and accuracy
- Prioritized and reviewed each volume for sales purposes and to determine whether Peter Lang controls the rights to individual chapters
- Assisted management by providing feedback from research of content
- Assisted with revision of instructions for front list collection editors to require contributors to provide abstracts and keyword lists for projects under contract and future acquisitions
- Assisted with packaging of DOIs as they are ordered by editors or customers
- Assisted with acquiring Editors with online research for potential authors and series editors
- Assisted with special projects, such as Lang’s expansion of its Canadian market
- Logged and traffics manuscripts on an in-house database.
- Coordinated author communications.
- Reviews, proofs, and edits suggested sales copy.
- Compiled rejection letters, manuscript acceptance letters, introduction and inquiry correspondence, editorial summaries, and freelancer communications.
Communicated and coordinated with partners for preparation of editorial meetings to review expectations.
The Slipper Room Online Newsletter, Editorial Assistant (New York, NY)
July 2013-September 2013
Worked closely with the editor to commission stories and organize contracts
Coordinated with in-house teams of writers, photographers, printers, designers and production staff
Organized and researched projects to meet tight deadlines
Obtained rights to use material from other publications
Assisted with creation and publishing of reports and articles and supplementary content for the magazine's web site
WJCL, Production Assistant (intern) (Savannah, GA)
January 2012- June 2013
Shot, edited, and managed time for News Stories
Worked closely with the executive producer, director, talent, and production team
Produced professional news packages
Provided editorial support to the Executive Editor
Under supervision, wrote first drafts of editorial materials, including fact sheets, descriptive
copy, and revised catalogue copy
Monitored content for audio evaluation
Assisted with sound and graphic editing
Cumulus Broadcasting Station, Public Relations & MArketing (Intern) (Savannah, GA)
January 2012- June 2013
Assisted in the planning, progress and implementation of all of the organization’s marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal.
Enhanced the planning and development of public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for employer or client
Improved the planning and direction of activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects and nonprofit organizations.
Contributed to and supported the editorial direction, design, production and distribution of organization publications.
Proficient with the following software packages and operating systems: Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Power Point, Access), Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PageMaker, Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Microsoft FrontPage, AdobeGoLive, Premiere
Savannah State University, Savannah,GA
B.A. Mass Communications
Graduated May 2012
The City College of New York
MFA Creative Writing
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.; The Mass Communications Association; The Behavior Analysis Association; Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Task Force (chairperson for the Community Advocates Resources Division, 2007-2008 President)